Kolkata mountaineer Satyarup Siddhanta reached the peak of Antartica’s highest point, the 4,285m Mount Sidley, on Wednesday and became the world’s youngest person to climb the seven highest peaks and the seven highest volcanic summits across the seven continents of the world in seven years. He is also the first person in India to conquer the seven mountain peaks and seven volcanic summits.
Climbing Mount Ridley at minus 40 degrees
Satyarup summited Mt. Sidley at 6:28 IST, at a temperature of minus 40 degree Celsius, according to the inReach Satellite Communicator he was carrying. He was the first Indian to climb Mt Ridley.
The Kolkata software engineer achieved the feat at the age of 35 years and 262 days, while Australia’s Daniel Bull did it aged 36 years 157 days as per the Guinness Book of World Records.
This achievement by him has made him the fifth Indian citizen to have climbed the tallest peaks in each continent.H
Which mountains and volcanic summits did he climb?
There is much dispute among mountaineers regarding which of the highest peaks fall in which country as certain peaks fall on continental border lines. Thus, every continent has at least three lists of highest peaks. Satyarup Siddhantahad to climb nine peaks to ensure that there was no dispute about him scaling the highest mountains in each continent.
Here are the nine highest mountains he climbed:
1. Mount Everest (8,848 m) – Nepal
2. Mt Aconcagua (6,961 m) – Argentina
3. Mt Mckinely/Mt Denali (6,194 m) – USA
4. Mt Kilimanjaro (5,895 m) – Tanzania
5. Mt Elbrus (5,642 m) – Russia
6. Mt Blanc (4,808.7 m) – France
7. Mt Vinson Massif (4,892 m) – Antractica
8. Puncac Jaya/ Carstensz Pyramid (4,884 m) – Indonesia
9. Mt Kosciuszko (2,228 m) – Australia
Here are the seven volcanic peaks he scaled:
1. Ojos del Salado (6,893 m) – Chile
2. Mt Kilimanjaro (5,895 m) – Tanzania
3. Mount Elbrus (5,642 m) – Russia
4. Mount Pico de Orizaba (5,636 m) – Mexico
5. Mt Damavand (5,610 m) – Iran
6. Mt Giluwe (4,368 m) – Papua New Guinea
7. Mt Sidley (4,285 m) – Antarctica
The mountaineer holds the record of conquering several summits such as the Mt Elbrus in Europe, Mt Denali in Alaska and Mt Monc Blanc in France, Kilimanjaro in Africa.
Last year, the 35-year-old had scaled the highest volcanic peak in North America, Pico de Orizaba.
Climbing Mt Everest in 2015
Such is his passion for climbing, that Satyarup didn’t think twice to leave his regular job before making his first attempt to scale the Mt Everest, in 2015.
He suffered financial losses after being forced to cut short his ascent due to a massive earthquake followed by an avalanche in the base camp. But he managed to scale it in 2006.
More about Satyarup Siddhanta
Satyarup hails from Haridevpur in South Kolkata and is presently based out of Bangalore
He is a software engineer by profession.
As per a report by HT, Satyarup had to work different shifts in two companies to raise funds for his mountaineering trips.